There's a long process to get a building permit but it isn't impossible, but it's a long process to get it not to mention it has to get approved before you can even get the permit. Another factor is where it changes for each state.
Steps of a building permit
- 1. Complete a building permit application
- 2. Preparing a site plan for the project. If your project is extensive, you will likely need to hire an architect or other professional to draw the project as it will be constructed (to show that it will meet building and zoning codes).
- 3. Scheduling an appointment for plan approval. You may be able to receive approval in person at an “over-the-counter” review. Or, the city may take several days or weeks to review the plans. The process may get extended even further if the city requires corrections and revisions.
- 4. Getting the permit. In cases where a permit is required, you will need to obtain it before you conduct any construction on your property.
- 5. Scheduling inspections. As you perform construction, you will need to schedule inspections throughout the process so the city can verify that you are acting according to your plans.
- 6. Complete your project and obtain final city approval.